12-year old boy charged with first degree murder

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

KestrelLowing

Re: 12-year old boy charged with first degree murder

Postby KestrelLowing » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:41 pm UTC

KittenKaboodle wrote:
KestrelLowing wrote:
KittenKaboodle wrote:
KestrelLowing wrote:Ummm, no. Either I wasn't clear or you just read my post really wrongly. In no way, shape or form was I suggestion euthanasia! I wanted to point out that because children cannot fully understand the consequences of their actions, they should be tried as minors, regardless of the severity of the crime. Typically, they attempt to rehabilitate minors, which sadly they don't do so much of in standard prison.

I did notice that your mention of, "Of Mice And Men" seemed incongruous, but I assumed you had a reason for mentioning it.
Lennie was not tried as a minor (and I'm not sure he was a minor cronologicaly). While George tried to protect Lennie as best he could, after Lennie killed a human he saw no hope for a good resolution, no attempt was made to rehabilite Lennie at that point. Now if Curley had been an enlightened forgiving liberal, the story might have been different, but you referenced the version where Lennie got a bullet in the back of the head, so I don't know what your point was.

Sorry, the whole point was just to bring up a well-known character who was not fully aware of their actions and yet committed crimes. I wasn't even thinking about what happened to Lennie at the end. Honestly, I forgot what happened to Lennie. I read it freshman year of high school. (dang... that was a long time ago....)

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:50 pm UTC

Well, that and the fact that the ending is pretty commonly regarded as a tragedy...

Generally, tragedy does not equate to "totally the way we should be doing things"
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:06 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Generally, tragedy does not equate to "totally the way we should be doing things"
So what are you trying to say? If I discover that my daughter has been raped, I *shouldn't* break her neck and also bake her rapists into a pie that I feed their mother?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:09 pm UTC

The jury's still out on that one.

Umm...they'll be back in 20 minutes or so to deliver the verdict on your case, though, so I wouldn't make long-term plans.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

robing

Postby robing » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:03 am UTC

I have read a lot about this child and written several letters on his behalf because I don't know what else to do. He is just a small boy that is a child of abuse. His mother was 12 years old when she had him. This by a much older man. Then she married another man that abused all of them. The little boy has been beaten and abused by both parents his whole life and now instead of helping him they turn backs. Lock him up for 23 hours a day in a cell alone. Once he wasd found nude in the street without even a diaper. He went to school beaten very badly one day and was taken to the hospital. When they arrived at his home his step father had shot himself in front of the sister. When they were moving from that location his mother made him carry everything down the stairs even though neighbors offered to help. Box after box with no help this little boy had to move his family. The poor child. I wrote the States Attorney and let her know I will work on any campaign that will get her out of office. She should not have made the decision to charge him as an adult. She should have reached out a hand and helped him. Yes, it is sad that he killed his sister but murder it wasn't it was the product of an abused child left alone to care for an infant. In America your not even suppose to leave a child alone until they are 13 this little boy was just pushed until he could be pushed no more.
If anyone cares to write please let me know. I am unsure of how I can help this child. And I know he will never really be ok but we can try and not just throw him away.

robing

Postby robing » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:52 pm UTC

Good news Cristian is out of adult prison and in a juvenile detention. So he isn't alone 23 hours a day. Justice for Cristian is on face book there are only about 63 people on there right now please if
you support this child go onto this page and let them know that you support him being treated as an abused child that he his. Also Angela Corey the State attorney that made this decision to treat him as an adult and as she said protect us from this poor little child may be written at 220 east bay street Jacksonville, FLorida 32202 Please write letters of protest on her decisions. The New Black Panthers protested in front of the jail the other day so with hope and prayers this child can be protected and given a chance of rehab. Yes, he has problems but he has been abused and his whole life... now at only 12 isn't the time to throw him away. We as Americans and Christians, Buddist, Muslims or Jewish which ever religion you are prayer and write and join facebook to show support.
Thanks so much and love to all.... Robin

Return to “News & Articles”