Does anyone else dislike most kids?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Does anyone else dislike most kids?

Postby setzer777 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:16 pm UTC

Does anyone else rather dislike being around most children?

I feel like I'm some weird aberration here, but it isn't just screaming or unruly children that annoy me - a lot of times kids acting "cute" or just being kids get on my nerves. I dislike the extent to which the concerns regarding children are elevated above the concerns of adults (it makes sense to some extent, but I feel like it's taken too far in some contexts). I dislike the number of allowances we're supposed to make for them (in terms of noise, disruption, minor property damage, making a mess) and the amount of self-censoring we're supposed to do around them. It really pisses me off when people bring kids to adult movies and then they talk loudly during the movie.

Most of the time people bring around kids (or pictures of kids) and everyone is going "Aww..." I feel nothing but a vague disconnect with how endearing everyone else seems to find them.
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Re: Does anyone else dislike most kids?

Postby Steax » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:19 pm UTC

I know several people who don't really like kids. They still accept them politely for their parents' sale. Personally I'm neutral. I generally think of kids as adults in the making, and I don't treat them like they're less intelligent than adults, which seems to be a gesture they appreciate. I don't go "BAAAAW" at every next cute thing they do, though.

You may want to define 'kids' though. I'm very supportive of young children, as per the above for children 7-10 or so, and I generally treat 10 and above like adults.

What annoys me a lot more are parents who don't try to control their kids when they're obviously causing trouble. How many times have I rolled my eyes at parents laughing at their children running around screaming at a crowded restaurant...
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:22 pm UTC

setzer777 wrote:Does anyone else rather dislike being around most children?

I feel like I'm some weird aberration here, but it isn't just screaming or unruly children that annoy me - a lot of times kids acting "cute" or just being kids get on my nerves. I dislike the extent to which the concerns regarding children are elevated above the concerns of adults (it makes sense to some extent, but I feel like it's taken too far in some contexts). I dislike the number of allowances we're supposed to make for them (in terms of noise, disruption, minor property damage, making a mess) and the amount of self-censoring we're supposed to do around them. It really pisses me off when people bring kids to adult movies and then they talk loudly during the movie.

Most of the time people bring around kids (or pictures of kids) and everyone is going "Aww..." I feel nothing but a vague disconnect with how endearing everyone else seems to find them.

My opinion on kids varies from indifferent to "Somebody get that fucking kid out of here", so I think I'm pretty much like you.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:29 pm UTC

setzer777 wrote:I dislike the number of allowances we're supposed to make for them (in terms of noise, disruption, minor property damage, making a mess) and the amount of self-censoring we're supposed to do around them. It really pisses me off when people bring kids to adult movies and then they talk loudly during the movie.

Me either. While in general I find most children delightful little monsters who have the potential to become great adults, I too dislike having to self-censor in child-inappropriate places or ignore disruptions.

[anecdote] My SO and I went to an R rated movie a while ago, and we were chatting before the movie began. We were talking about chess and playing a game on his iPhone. A family with 2 children under the age of 12 or so was sitting down a row below us, also chatting. I started winning the game, and him being the sore loser he is, was tossing a few curse words into our chatter. Suddenly I find myself checkmated and unintentionally loudly say "Goddamit!". Mom from the family below us looks up and says "CAN'T YOU SEE THERE ARE CHILDREN HERE!" We were more than a little annoyed by this and in the end ignored her and continued playing chess until the movie, filled with swearing and other things "Mom" surely wouldn't have tolerated us doing anywhere near her children. [/anecdote]

Other things I dislike: seeing multitudes of toddlers at walmart at midnight wailing their heads off as their parent buys a wagon full of junk food.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

Mapar

Postby Mapar » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:36 pm UTC

Cathy wrote:
setzer777 wrote:I dislike the number of allowances we're supposed to make for them (in terms of noise, disruption, minor property damage, making a mess) and the amount of self-censoring we're supposed to do around them. It really pisses me off when people bring kids to adult movies and then they talk loudly during the movie.

Me either. While in general I find most children delightful little monsters who have the potential to become great adults, I too dislike having to self-censor in child-inappropriate places or ignore disruptions.

[anecdote] My SO and I went to an R rated movie a while ago, and we were chatting before the movie began. We were talking about chess and playing a game on his iPhone. A family with 2 children under the age of 12 or so was sitting down a row below us, also chatting. I started winning the game, and him being the sore loser he is, was tossing a few curse words into our chatter. Suddenly I find myself checkmated and unintentionally loudly say "Goddamit!". Mom from the family below us looks up and says "CAN'T YOU SEE THERE ARE CHILDREN HERE!" We were more than a little annoyed by this and in the end ignored her and continued playing chess until the movie, filled with swearing and other things "Mom" surely wouldn't have tolerated us doing anywhere near her children. [/anecdote]

Other things I dislike: seeing multitudes of toddlers at walmart at midnight wailing their heads off as their parent buys a wagon full of junk food.

Well, I think I should consider myself lucky that we don't have that kind of hypocrisy here (or at least it isn't as bad). But yeah, apart from a few exceptions (my youngest cousin is one of them), I'm not too fond of little kids either.

EDIT: as far as "D'Awwww"-ness goes, nothing will ever beat Pikachu. Nyah, there.
Hi.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:45 pm UTC

I love kids. My career choice is completely kid-centric, and I want kids of my own someday. That said, I too am not a big fan of kids when I am out and in an uncensored mood. I was a nanny in NYC for a year, and there were so many people around that would say completely inappropriate things for a kid to hear, but honestly there was no way to avoid it and I didn't begrudge people their ability to be uncensored when in public. I do think it's generally polite to tone it down if you're asked to, although at an R-rated movie that's a bit ridiculous. The kids probably weren't even paying attention to you until the mom yelled at you.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:22 pm UTC

If I can treat them like an adult, then everything's fine. If I can't, then
Zarq wrote:My opinion on kids varies from indifferent to "Somebody get that fucking kid out of here"
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:22 pm UTC

Steax wrote:They still accept them politely for their parents' sale.

:shock:
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:27 pm UTC

I love interacting with kids. I have a hard time interacting with teenagers who are convinced they're awesome, and everything they do is awesome, and unique and incomprehensible to anyone who isn't in their circle of friends, but that's a difficulty that applies to my peers and superiors as well.

My girlfriends cousins kid is a really thoughtful dude who likes hearing about science and playing games. I get along with him swimmingly. My brother is going through a very moody teenage phase wherein he's awesomepants mcawesomeson, and everyone else is boring, and it's tiresome and aggravating, and I don't get along with him very well.

tl;dr: It depends on the kid.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:29 pm UTC

In general I'm not a fan kids.

There's some kids I can't stand to be around. There's some kids that are okay in small doses, and there's some kids that can sustain a certain level of awesome.

So,
Izawwlgood wrote:It depends on the kid.
^
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:07 pm UTC

I can dig most kids over 12. The kids I teach are all in college, and that is pretty good too. Under 12 and they might not understand sarcasm and get upppity if I say "fuck" a lot, and I am not OK with that sort of person. Adults who don't understand sarcasm and get their feathers ruffled by fuck aren't much better though.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:35 pm UTC

I am absolutely in this category of people, in two very different ways. I both dislike the sounds and behavior of actual children I have the misfortune to be around, and I abhor how much of our culture is "for the children." Once I can treat a "child" like an adult, I'm perfectly happy with them. For instance, I love Scarleteen, because it's talking to teenagers honestly about sex, and treating those teenagers as autonomous human beings capable of making their own choices. I don't think I need to explain my problems with hanging out with actual children, but I think it's worth it to go into the cultural problems I see with doing things "for the children."

I love science, going to museums, ecological restoration and other environmental issues and education. All of these things are often directed towards children, in a way that makes them less effective at communicating with adults. Science museums are often the worst: the "Science Storms" exhibit in the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago seemed to me to have lots of stuff to play with, with very little explanation or presentation of the ideas behind the toys. I think that museums should have some exhibits, and parts of all exhibits, that are directed at children, but I think that they should also be designed to appeal to adults. I've been doing ecological restoration, and I personally despise the aesthetics of monoculture, mowed lawns, and the thickets of the invasive exotic shrub Common Buckthorn (Rhamnus cathartica). I want to convince homeowners and park goers to share my views. Other people interested in ecological restoration seem to think that only children are worth trying to convince, because adults have already decided what parks and nature "should" look like. I certainly think that we should target some environmental education at children, but I also think that educating adults is necessary and possible, and that we won't be able to save the native plants and ecologies if we only focus on the children.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:07 am UTC

I don't mind being around children, as long as they're (1) well-behaved, and (2) not trying to seek attention from other adults.

I especially despise small children who feel it is their obligation to annoy, irritate, and otherwise bother any and all adults and other, much older children within a 1,000-foot radius of their current central position.

Case in point: Corey Phillips. Corey Phillips is a small boy, about 3 or 4, who lives somewhere in one of the towns near me. He is the second-youngest of five or six, with the youngest being his little sister Nancy, who is 2 or 3.

How do I know of this Corey Phillips? My mom and I met the fine lad at the local doin's for the annual Yanks-Felt-They-Were-Too-Good-For-Tea-And-Crumpets-So-Let's-Say-Fuck-The-King-And-Blow-Shit-Up-To-Commemorate-It Day. Corey's mother had about six or seven kids in tow, all ranging from 2 or 3 (Nancy) to 15 or 16. The teens were wandering around, asking people for an extra quarter, because they were one-shy of a cup of boiled peanuts.

Corey and Nancy were the stars of the show. Corey liked to run around, entertaining the other adults as he best knew how: By beating them with an inflatable tube featuring Spongebob the mother bought at one of the booths, hitting them with a "ba-WOON!" (seriously...that's how he said it...can I pop it when it comes close to me again? He lost one and began crying. Mom refused to get another. She earned a point for that.) campaigning for our local hillbilly law enforcement ossifer (sic), showing off a Tootsie Roll or Tootsie Pop, hoping some kind adult will unwrap it for him (I was tempted to unwrap it and eat it in front of him), or stealing their food. Nancy would try to steal food (just try that with my mom and I. I dare you. No jury in their right mind would convict us), and sometimes acted rather...inappropriately for a two-year-old. Especially around other men. Must have learned it from Mommy. Most of the evening before the big show would find Ms. Phillips standing on top of the hill, in all her pregnant (!) glory, where she had laid out the towels for them to lay on, barking orders for her brood to corral little Corey and Nancy, oftentimes segued with "COREY PHILLIPS GET UP HERE!" and "SOMEONE GO GET HIM!" or "DON'T YOU GO BACK IN THAT LAKE!"

What's fun to do at any event or any setting where children, especially small children like Corey and Nancy, is when they look at you, don't show any facial expressions. They will smile or giggle, because they have been conditioned to expect the same, and cooing over just how adorable and how cute I could just eat you up, you little angel. Yes, you are. You're one of God's perfect little angels!

...*a-HEM*...

Where were we? Oh, yes. When a tot looks at you, show no facial expressions. Pretend you're reading a book or driving directions. Raise an eyebrow. Curl your lip. Flare your nostrils. It's so much fun to watch the little darlin's cognitive circuits fry when it doesn't receive the output it has become accustomed to. Bonus points if the child starts to look nervous, scared, or tucks its head deep into Mommy's shoulder or lap, then looks back at you, expecting you to smile at how pweshus that was. Again, do not smile. Enjoy the end results.
PRG

An important message for you:

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:13 am UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:especially small children like Corey and Nancy, is when they look at you, don't show any facial expressions.

Most children I've interacted with would look at you oddly, then go do something more interesting and fun than wonder what the constipated looking person is worrying about.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:41 am UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:Where were we? Oh, yes. When a tot looks at you, show no facial expressions. Pretend you're reading a book or driving directions. Raise an eyebrow. Curl your lip. Flare your nostrils. It's so much fun to watch the little darlin's cognitive circuits fry when it doesn't receive the output it has become accustomed to. Bonus points if the child starts to look nervous, scared, or tucks its head deep into Mommy's shoulder or lap, then looks back at you, expecting you to smile at how pweshus that was. Again, do not smile. Enjoy the end results.

I do this. It is satisfying.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:36 am UTC

to something mentioned earlier; I have to watch parents buy their five year olds mountain dew everyday ~cringe~

OT; I have a very low tolerance for any behavior people might consider annoying in children. I can do fine throwing a Frisbee with younger cousins or whatnot; its not being near epsilons* that bugs me, I just don't get how anyone can stand children.

*had to use word there
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:22 am UTC

As soon as I can interact with them like adults I find kids fine.

Meaning that the first two stages, namely poo-producing noise machine stage and noise & property breaking stage, bug the hell out of my, and I just want them to go away, and don't particularly care about where, as long as it's outside my immediate area of concern.

O also have a quite strong dislike for parents that have managed to teach their children that the proper response to a no is to start wailing, and then the one saying no will surely change their minds, because the parents always do.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:02 pm UTC

i dislike all but 3 kids. i cannot stand any other kids besides our best friends' kids (and TBH, one of them is pushing it....she's pretty close to being moved off the list). i think it's because i can't stand anyone who is unreasonable. if you can't understand the basic process of reason, or can't be reasoned with, then i can't really tolerate you in my space
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:48 pm UTC

I do really really badly around displays of stupidity, ignorance, and incompetence. Since this pretty much comes with the child territory (whether it's their fault or not), the best I can be around children is a state of finely ground irritation. The worst is fleeing or yelling when one of them oversteps a boundary.

One time I was voluntold by my mom for the Sunday service nursery. It was just me, another mom-in-training teenager (like...blonde, wholesome, loved by Jesus, that type of teenager), and several toddlers. The boy was obnoxious. Intelligent for his age but just full of obnoxious, and we got along badly. He could tell I was irritated too, because he started throwing things at my head. I threw them back at his head. The things hit him in the head. The other teenager looked beyond shocked. I shrugged and said, "He needs to learn that people don't like things being thrown at their head." Result: he no longer threw things at my head.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:04 pm UTC

There are very few children that I actually like. However, I think this is partially due to the fact that I'm not fond of a lot of people. (Personalities just seem to clash. While I try to be nice, I just don't like being around them.)

So, you get people I likely wouldn't enjoy being around if they were older along with the fact that children usually can't think very well and I'm not too fond of most children.

Discipline is obviously another reason why children aren't too appealing to me. My parents always had us acting pretty decently. We knew we would not act out in public and we rarely acted out at home. It wasn't because they threatened us, they just taught us what to do. So when children are particularly annoying or don't understand that no means no, I really dislike them but realize that's pretty much the parents' fault.

I hope that if I have children (note that if the kid is decently behaved and a person I'd enjoy being around when older, I'm actually really fond of them) I can manage to do what my parents did with us. I swear they used positive reinforcement training on us. Do something good? My mother would indicate there were cookies on the counter and give attention. Do something bad? She would redirect our attention or ignore us. Until I started looking at how to train a dog, the concept really didn't hit. But, I'm pretty sure my mother trained us like well-loved dogs.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:06 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Result: he no longer threw things at my head.

Eh, or result, he learned that throwing things at people was an appropriate response to being upset.

I understand that many kids are irritating little shit heads, but more often than not, I'd say that they are the way they are because they mimic their parents or their peers. But the idea that all kids are ignorant or dumb is a pretty shallow perspective; like peers, if you give kids a chance, they'll often impress and surprise you with their intelligence.

Or not. But it's funny, because I wager half the people posting in this thread are still teenagers.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:19 pm UTC

I'm 23. I've always been intelligent in my class, often reading and talking about concepts that were supposed to be beyond my age. But I'm also fully aware that I was an irritating prat, and that emotional development is crucial to not being an irritating prat.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:32 pm UTC

Right, and part of what kept me an annoying prat for so long, I think, was a general lack of mature peers in my socializing. It wasn't until high school that I interacted with people older than me as peers, and it certainly took a few people giving me a proverbial social smack upside the head to set me straight in a few of my behaviors.

So I say don't deprive a kid the guidance they may need. Wiping your hands of brats because they're brats is certainly your right, but a bit of patience and remembering that you're an adult and they're a child might make a big difference in their development, and might reveal a pretty cool person under that obnoxious behavior. Of course, not everyone wants to be burdened with straightening out of obnoxious brats, I get that and empathize with it.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:41 pm UTC

Kids could be annoying in some settings (like the movie anecdote) because I try to self-censor what I say or do around them. But I'm surprised at how many people don't like kids because they can't treat them like adults. I've been "attacked" at barbeques/parties by other people's kids, but when I'm tired I just let them know I need a break.

Seeing young kids do silly antics or making simple discoveries is quite amusing to me. Maybe its my favorite thing about kids in general.

Also, its fun thinking of "PG" ways to tease kids. For example, one such youngin was calling someone a blueberry because she had dyed her hair blue. He was a ginger so we called him a carrot-cake, because he was orange and no one liked him. We didn't tell him the second part but everyone else thought it was hilarious.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:30 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
podbaydoor wrote:Result: he no longer threw things at my head.

Eh, or result, he learned that throwing things at people was an appropriate response to being upset.

Indeed. And that revenge/escalation is just fine, especially if you're bigger and have better aim.

I like kids. I work with the parents of young kids every day, teaching them to be better, more effective, and less stressed-out parents, as well as helping them provide a more comfortable home and give their kids more chances to succeed. Kids are smart, and they use the behaviors that they find generate a response, or that they see modeled for them. If you don't like the way a child is behaving, take a good long look at how you are reacting to the behavior/how the parent/guardian is behaving themselves.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:09 pm UTC

PictureSarah, you're spot-on with kids reflecting behavior, I think. My dad's normal response to anything he didn't like about his kids was yelling and smacking and threatening. As we grew up, my brother and I, wonder of wonders, yelled and threatened each other. I hope to have kids in the future, but I realize that I've got to resist mirroring back my dad's bad parenting right onto my own kids.

I've got around 15 cousins, all younger than me, ranging in age from 3 to 17. This has given me a pretty good reflection of Good Parenting Skills and Bad Parenting Skills and Parenting Skills I Don't Agree With. Grumpy anecdote below.
Spoiler:
My least favorite parenting habit is never telling your child anything you don't agree with in the world. 15-year-old female cousin goes to private catholic school in Europe, and is unaware of the existence of divorce. Apparently my Uncle and Aunt ensure this by making sure her friends don't have divorcee parents. Aunt thinks that her daughter should be brought up without the corrupting influence of divorce and homosexuality and pretty much everything else that your average teen knows about.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

D.B.

Postby D.B. » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:18 pm UTC

I think dislike is too strong a word. Like others, I'd class myself as indifferent. I certainly not fussed about looking at pictures of peoples kids (unless they're doing something really funny/neat - so just like any other pictures of people really) and don't 'ooh' or 'aww' over them.

That said, some kids are pleasant company, and those I don't mind at all (my SO and I both had an otherwise very dull train journey last Christmas made far more entertaining by the kid sitting opposite making a rather convincing platypus puppet from his gloves and entertaining his younger sister with it. You had to be there :D ).

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:19 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:I do really really badly around displays of stupidity, ignorance, and incompetence. Since this pretty much comes with the child territory (whether it's their fault or not), the best I can be around children is a state of finely ground irritation. The worst is fleeing or yelling when one of them oversteps a boundary.

One time I was voluntold by my mom for the Sunday service nursery. It was just me, another mom-in-training teenager (like...blonde, wholesome, loved by Jesus, that type of teenager), and several toddlers. The boy was obnoxious. Intelligent for his age but just full of obnoxious, and we got along badly. He could tell I was irritated too, because he started throwing things at my head. I threw them back at his head. The things hit him in the head. The other teenager looked beyond shocked. I shrugged and said, "He needs to learn that people don't like things being thrown at their head." Result: he no longer threw things at my head.

yeah, anyone who expects me to spend time near their kids are made VERY AWARE that my preferred method of teaching is reciprocation, so if a kid is bugging the shit out of me, i'll bug the shit out of them until they give up. or poke them in the face if they poked me in the face (when any of our friends brings their kids to our house, their children are told at the door "i know where you live, if you break anything of mine, i get to come to your house and break something of yours"....they don't break things in my house). and that my preferred method of entertaining myself around kids is to test their gullibility by making up very authoritative sounding stories
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:05 pm UTC

When I was about seven, I was on an international flight during a family vacation. Some kid was making a fuss, screaming loudly and irritating other passengers, etc. Then I saw that a flight attendant gave the kid a model airplane to play with. This was back in the days when we got playing cards for free, but that kid got special treatment. My dad said to me, this is a great example of "noisy kids get the goods." It could also be translated as "kids who know how to be noisy get the goods."

However, I considered making a scene totally beneath me. Still I glared at the kid with a mixture of envy and revulsion. There began a lifelong hatred of people (age 3-90) who like to complain and whine and throw tantrums out of hobby or spite.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:48 pm UTC

Eh, I harbour a strong hate for young kids. Upon being near a pack, I usually want to seize one of those little fuckers by the leg, and club the others with it.

Kids are incredibly noisy, smelly, obnoxious, and all around self-entitled brats.

Kids above 12 start getting bearable, but then it depends on the person. They are usually too stupid to be interesting yet, but not as irritating.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:48 pm UTC

At the time in the Sunday nursery story, I was maybe 15 years old. I think if it happened now (whether the person throwing the tantrum is 5 or 45) I'm likely to just ignore them and tell everyone else to ignore them.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

rigwarl

Postby rigwarl » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:51 pm UTC

I freakin' hate kids. I can't think of a single situation where I would ever want someone between the ages of 0-12 in my vicinity. Well-behaved ones aren't too bad though I guess. They get an enjoyment-status slightly below that of a potted plant.

apricity

Postby apricity » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:24 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Right, and part of what kept me an annoying prat for so long, I think, was a general lack of mature peers in my socializing. It wasn't until high school that I interacted with people older than me as peers, and it certainly took a few people giving me a proverbial social smack upside the head to set me straight in a few of my behaviors.

So I say don't deprive a kid the guidance they may need. Wiping your hands of brats because they're brats is certainly your right, but a bit of patience and remembering that you're an adult and they're a child might make a big difference in their development, and might reveal a pretty cool person under that obnoxious behavior. Of course, not everyone wants to be burdened with straightening out of obnoxious brats, I get that and empathize with it.
All of this, yes. From what I've read of adolescent psychology, kids and teens really have become much less mature in the last century or so. The major reasoning behind this is that they spend too much time with peers who reinforce the same old actions rather than new, more mature ones. Back when school classrooms were made up of multiple age groups and teens went through apprenticeships, there was a whole lot more interaction with older peers and adults, and as a result kids and teens were given the exposure to more mature thoughts and actions sooner. I see it again and again, in mentoring programs, in summer camps where multiple age groups interact, even here on the fora where a 15-year-old's shallow views are always rapidly challenged. Spending more time with adults and older peers is hugely beneficial to emotional, behavioral, cognitive, and relational development.

All of this is why I love working with kids-- it's hard to tell sometimes, but having a strong adult influence around is so beneficial in the long run and I love to know that I can be there to help them turn out better.

(she/her/hers)

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:44 pm UTC

I'm in the dislike most kids camp. I don't like any kids, but not all of them completely annoy me. I find most to be annoying little brats whose parents don't even attempt to correct bad behaviors. Of course, I likely only notice them when they are being brats, but they do still seem to be too common.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

natraj

Postby natraj » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:45 pm UTC

I like some kids just fine. Some of my best friends came from a family of 14 and I spent a loooooooot of time helping take care of their younger siblings. They were pretty awesome kids being raised basically communally by a bunch of hippie anarchists and they were for the most part really great people. When I run into kids I cannot stand I generally find in 95% of the cases, it's because their parents are either douchebags or have no idea how to model/encourage appropriate behaviors. But most of the kids I know who are being raised by people who are great are also in turn pretty rad.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:30 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:So I say don't deprive a kid the guidance they may need. Wiping your hands of brats because they're brats is certainly your right, but a bit of patience and remembering that you're an adult and they're a child might make a big difference in their development, and might reveal a pretty cool person under that obnoxious behavior. Of course, not everyone wants to be burdened with straightening out of obnoxious brats, I get that and empathize with it.
lanicita wrote:All of this, yes. ... I see it again and again, in mentoring programs, in summer camps where multiple age groups interact, even here on the fora where a 15-year-old's shallow views are always rapidly challenged. Spending more time with adults and older peers is hugely beneficial to emotional, behavioral, cognitive, and relational development.

All of this is why I love working with kids-- it's hard to tell sometimes, but having a strong adult influence around is so beneficial in the long run and I love to know that I can be there to help them turn out better.
Izawwlgood and lanicita, I can see how your perspectives are likely to lead to better-behaved kids, and I know that a lot of the "I dislike kids" answers in this thread have had to do with obnoxious behavior, so your replies make sense. However, I think you're missing a really important part of this thread. Our society as a whole values children, and ostracizes adults (especially women, but mature adults in general) who aren't interested in hanging out with children, or in having our own. Whenever my mother talks about her two adult female children, my mother gets questions about whether and when she's going to be a grandmother. It's not going to happen: my twin sister and I are 30 and neither of us have any plans to reproduce, but my mother stopped saying "never" when people ask about grandchildren, because they just argued that her children would change our minds and/or got extremely sad about it. As a person who doesn't want kids, I am treated like a weirdo. This thread exists to provide people like me with the reassurance that we are not alone, not to convince us that the world would be a much better place if only we were more like the culture as a whole, and loved kids.

Everyone is turned off by poorly behaved children, whether they respond by saying they dislike children, or by coming up with things to make children behave better, or by focusing on the good things kids do and accepting the bad as inevitable. Disliking poorly behaved children doesn't make you a weirdo requiring reassurance that others like you exist, and you are not evil.

Personally, I'm more interested in hearing from people who value experience instead of innocence, reality over potential, who aren't simply turned off by poorly behaved children but instead who just aren't into kids. I think of potential as universal and therefore pretty meaningless, and I think of innocence as a euphemistic term either for ignorance, which I hate, or for anti-sex morals, which I also hate. Yeah, yeah, I get that children are our future and that good childhood experiences are important, but the future comes when the children become adults, and I'd personally rather interface with our present and 70+ years of our future by interfacing with adults. Our society has no shortage of either children or adults who want to hang out with children, so I'm perfectly happy to leave childbearing, child-rearing, and hanging out with children to people who want to do those things.

setzer777

Postby setzer777 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:23 pm UTC

Yeah, I don't really want to spend any of my time turning children into better behaved children, and I wouldn't really get much out of it (because I still don't particularly *like* well behaved children). And a lot of their behaviors that bug me aren't really things that I think are necessarily wrong*, I just find them so annoying I don't want to be around them.

*Examples: the way many kids tend to repeat the same words and phrases over and over again incessantly, the way a lot of them giggle and playfully yell, the way younger children get their drool/snot on their hands and then touch shit, the way they get food on their face when eating.

Edit: Oh, yeah, the self-censoring bit kind of ties in to people shielding their kids from other viewpoints. When interacting with or around kids, in addition to being expected to censor swearing and references to anything sexual, you are also expected to self-censor any viewpoint on any normative subject (religion, morality, politics, social norms) that might disagree with what their parents taught them.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:59 am UTC

Enuja wrote:However, I think you're missing a really important part of this thread. Our society as a whole values children, and ostracizes adults (especially women, but mature adults in general) who aren't interested in hanging out with children, or in having our own.

Yesyes, I'm well aware of this social pressure. No one has really described anything so far though that, to me, speaks directly of hating children. Instead, people have described hating obnoxious or selfish behaviors. Behaviors which are certainly not limited to children. No one, myself included, has said anything to the effect of "Poorly behaved children are still totally awesome because they're like mini-me's!" or "But they're just so wubbable! (I just saw that fucking cat thread again)"

Indeed, and this is an assumption I fully admit I could be dead wrong on, but I wager that many of the posters in this thread who are saying they hate children are teens themselves, and looking at younger kids as subordinates, and that hating them is a means of distancing oneself from the immaturity that you're 'like, totally grown past'.
EDIT: Admittedly, that's not fair to a lot of people who have posted. I get that you may simply not dealing with children, and prefer instead to deal with peers. :::shrug:::
Enuja wrote:Yeah, yeah, I get that children are our future and that good childhood experiences are important, but the future comes when the children become adults

Alternatively, one can say that children aren't burdened by the obnoxious responsibilities of adulthood, that playing a game with a kid is a good way to recapture your juvenile spirit, and that you can share your experiences with someone who can learn from them. I appreciate the sentiment of 'living in the present', but to continue with the cliches, I feel children have heaps to teach us as well.
setzer777 wrote: I just find them so annoying I don't want to be around them.

I was just at my PI's house and her son has an awesome lego collection. He spent about 30 minutes telling me about his design process for creating spaceships.
setzer777 wrote:the way many kids tend to repeat the same words and phrases over and over again incessantly

Haha, that's funny you should say that. Surely you have friends who have favorite words, or incessantly quote films? Yeah: it's annoying there too. (Incidentally, some of the memes used frequently around here annoy the shit out of me)
setzer777 wrote:Oh, yeah, the self-censoring bit kind of ties in to people shielding their kids from other viewpoints.

This is certainly true, but I don't think self-censorship is something unique to children. Everyone you interact with you utilize a different set of filters. One of my peers is a very 'proper', fairly religious woman; I remove all sexual banter and humor from my joking around when with her. Another one of my peers is a very shy and hesitant dude with a stutter; I avoid loud obnoxious behavior and do my best to not cut him off mid sentence. So yes, around kids, maybe it's not appropriate to drop a variety of gags; I don't see how that's any worse than dealing with any other person.

apricity

Postby apricity » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:54 am UTC

Enuja wrote:This thread exists to provide people like me with the reassurance that we are not alone, not to convince us that the world would be a much better place if only we were more like the culture as a whole, and loved kids.
Actually, the thread is just called "Does anyone else dislike most kids?" and we began a discussion based off our negative answer to that question. It's not a safespace for childfree people. Go ahead and start one of those if you want, but this thread is in General and just a discussion.

I am fine with people deciding they don't want kids and don't want to deal with kids. For the sake of both you and the kids, I hope you're never around them if you don't want to be. But I didn't miss the part of the thread you are talking about. It just doesn't apply to me and I have no interest in discussing it, and so I am only talking about the part that does interest me. I would never try and convince anyone that the world would be a better place if you liked kids. Nobody chooses what they like. I'm just explaining why I answered negatively to that question.

(she/her/hers)

setzer777

Postby setzer777 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:26 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
setzer777 wrote:Oh, yeah, the self-censoring bit kind of ties in to people shielding their kids from other viewpoints.

This is certainly true, but I don't think self-censorship is something unique to children. Everyone you interact with you utilize a different set of filters. One of my peers is a very 'proper', fairly religious woman; I remove all sexual banter and humor from my joking around when with her. Another one of my peers is a very shy and hesitant dude with a stutter; I avoid loud obnoxious behavior and do my best to not cut him off mid sentence. So yes, around kids, maybe it's not appropriate to drop a variety of gags; I don't see how that's any worse than dealing with any other person.

That's true. For me personally I do rather dislike self-censoring in general, so I don't do it much. When possible I tend to only socialize with those I can speak freely with (this works for me because I'm somewhat solitary don't require a ton of social interaction).

I agree about a lot of the constantly repeated memes being annoying. I have my own set of phrases with my brother, but I find most other people's annoying. I think that most social issues with children are amplified versions of those you deal with in peers. Since social effort tires me quickly, there is a limited set of people I enjoy being around, and children don't tend to be in that group.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

Return to “General”