Futuroomba!

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Futuroomba!

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:25 am UTC

I for one hate mid-season breaks, especially when there are almost as many breaks as there are episodes.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby folkhero » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:03 am UTC

Minor nitpick (because I can)
Spoiler:
While I enjoyed that math was used as a plot device again, why does it matter that the series is non-converging? Sure, each Bender is going to make two more Benders due to laziness, but is there any reason that they wouldn't make more than two?
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...
folkhero

Postby Dason » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:42 am UTC

folkhero wrote:Minor nitpick (because I can)
Spoiler:
While I enjoyed that math was used as a plot device again, why does it matter that the series is non-converging? Sure, each Bender is going to make two more Benders due to laziness, but is there any reason that they wouldn't make more than two?

Spoiler:
I don't quite understand what your getting at? The fact that it's non-converging means that if you let it run long enough the amount of mass the Benders take up will grow to be larger than any finite amount. If they made more than two each time it would just grow faster would it not? But I was under the impression that the machine only did make two copies.
double epsilon = -.0000001;
Dason

Postby phlip » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:48 am UTC

Dason wrote:
Spoiler:
I don't quite understand what your getting at? The fact that it's non-converging means that if you let it run long enough the amount of mass the Benders take up will grow to be larger than any finite amount. If they made more than two each time it would just grow faster would it not? But I was under the impression that the machine only did make two copies.

Spoiler:
He's saying that even if it was convergent (say, if it only made one copy, or if it made two but they were smaller than 50% of the size of the original, rather than the quoted 60% in the episode) then that still wouldn't guarantee an upper limit of mBender Total, because the Benders could easily run the duplicator several times, and it'd still grow without bound.

Also, I notice that there's a bunch of discussion of Benderama, but basically none of Neutopia... I figure this is a good thing.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?
phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby Dason » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:02 am UTC

phlip wrote:
Spoiler:
He's saying that even if it was convergent (say, if it only made one copy, or if it made two but they were smaller than 50% of the size of the original, rather than the quoted 60% in the episode) then that still wouldn't guarantee an upper limit of mBender Total, because the Benders could easily run the duplicator several times, and it'd still grow without bound.

Ok that makes sense.
Also, I notice that there's a bunch of discussion of Benderama, but basically none of Neutopia... I figure this is a good thing.

Agreed.
Dason

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:42 pm UTC

When I started watching last night it was near the end of the neutopia episode...
Spoiler:
Boy was I confused by the photoshoot of the gender-swapped cast, which was the part when I just started watching. At first I was skeptical as to who they really were (alternate dimensions again?). I haven't seen the rest but it looked like an odd episode with the seemingly random rock person appearing out of a meteor >.>
broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:39 pm UTC

phlip wrote:Also, I notice that there's a bunch of discussion of Benderama, but basically none of Neutopia... I figure this is a good thing.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:51 am UTC

Diadem wrote:It's not a new season is it. Just a resumation of season 6 after a mid-season break.

Is it just me, or do more or more tv series seem to have mid-seasons breaks these days? Perhaps we should start counting tv series in semesters, not seasons.

so the mid season break was 6 months long? does that mean that there will be a smaller gap between the end of season 6 and the beginning of season 7, or will season 7 start later in the year than season 6 did?

Postby Sockmonkey » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:28 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:When I started watching last night it was near the end of the neutopia episode...
Spoiler:
Boy was I confused by the photoshoot of the gender-swapped cast, which was the part when I just started watching. At first I was skeptical as to who they really were (alternate dimensions again?). I haven't seen the rest but it looked like an odd episode with the seemingly random rock person appearing out of a meteor >.>
Spoiler:
The rock creature was a nod to a classic ST episode where one was experimenting with good and evil.
I think this epiode spent too long on the setup and not enough time exploring the consequences.
Sockmonkey

Postby existential_elevator » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:28 am UTC

Neutopia:
Spoiler:
Reliance on gender stereotypes make me sad, especially when they bundle off all the characters I find relatable and make them do the same thing. Amy hallucinating a shopping mall would be in character, maybe, but for the others less so. Similarly with the guy characters. So yeah. There was quite a bit of fail in that episode. Except Scruffy. Because it's hard to fail at Scruffy.

Benderama:
Spoiler:
I really liked the concept, but wasn't too sure about the resolution :D
existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby arnum » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:45 pm UTC

We haven't had those episodes here in my part of Australia yet, but they sound great. Nice photo of Farnsworth
arnum

Postby Diadem » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:48 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:It's not a new season is it. Just a resumation of season 6 after a mid-season break.

Is it just me, or do more or more tv series seem to have mid-seasons breaks these days? Perhaps we should start counting tv series in semesters, not seasons.

so the mid season break was 6 months long? does that mean that there will be a smaller gap between the end of season 6 and the beginning of season 7, or will season 7 start later in the year than season 6 did?

Yeah the mid-season break is longer than the inbetween-season break. Don't blame me, I didn't make up those rules.

But it is a mid-season break. The new episodes are labelled season 6 episode 13 en 14. Not season 7 episode 1 and 2.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister
Diadem

Postby Nat » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:28 pm UTC

I liked today's episode, the robot devil's constant threats of singing were nice. The only thing that annoyed me was the robot-heaven part.
Nat

Postby el_loco_avs » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:31 am UTC

The most recent episode was pretty awesome. Almost seem to be getting to their old levels of awesome.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.
el_loco_avs

Postby existential_elevator » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:39 am UTC

I agree. I think it was the strongest episode in quite some time.
Spoiler:
Though, it did confuse me with the cronology. Are the crew really supposed to have aged 10 years?
existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby phlip » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:47 am UTC

Eh, I wasn't a fan of this one... Between Neutopia and this, I think Futurama has had more than its fair share of dumb gender-roles jokes recently. And for a show that hides maths/science jokes and pop-culture references in the backgrounds and freeze-frames, the Schroedinger's Box and Minority Report jokes in this one were rather... unsubtle.

I mean, it wasn't horrible, but I couldn't really get into it. Pretty forgettable, on average.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?
phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:20 am UTC

This latest episode (silence of the clamps) was amazing. especially
Spoiler:
The fight between Clamps and Zoidberg. Hilarious!
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title
EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby Jorpho » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:50 am UTC

Eh, this has been too many episodes in too short a timespan where one character has in theory Departed Forever.
Jorpho

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:57 am UTC

It's probably one of the more common premises for Futurama episodes.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

EdgarJPublius

Postby Malice » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:28 pm UTC

existential_elevator wrote:I agree. I think it was the strongest episode in quite some time.
Spoiler:
Though, it did confuse me with the cronology. Are the crew really supposed to have aged 10 years?

Spoiler:
Nah, the joke is that in the ten years Fry has been in the future, this has been going on the whole time.
Malice

Postby existential_elevator » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:31 pm UTC

Malice wrote:
existential_elevator wrote:I agree. I think it was the strongest episode in quite some time.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Nah, the joke is that in the ten years Fry has been in the future, this has been going on the whole time.

Spoiler:
I know, it's just I find it hard to believe that they're all meant to be 30-somethings now rather than 20-somethings. I was never sure in the show if they were meant to be gradually ageing, I'd just assumed that time went on but they kind of nodded at that and ignored it in terms of character development.
existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:14 pm UTC

I don't doubt that the futurama universe has some form of anti-aging going on, whether from specific treatments or just general improvements in healthcare and medical science.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

EdgarJPublius

Postby Jorpho » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:16 pm UTC

If there has ever been any show that should be entitled to canonical screwing with its chronology, it's Futurama.
Jorpho

Postby Sockmonkey » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:24 am UTC

Meh, ten years on our scale doesn't mean ten have gone by on the show. In any case with people living as long as Farnsworth, (160+IIRC) 30 is nothing.
Sockmonkey

Postby folkhero » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:21 am UTC

Sockmonkey wrote:Meh, ten years on our scale doesn't mean ten have gone by on the show. In any case with people living as long as Farnsworth, (160+IIRC) 30 is nothing.

Didn't the 100th episode specifically say that it had been ten years since Farnsworth got his new crew? I think the quote was something like, "Wohoo, our hundredth delivery in only ten years."
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...
folkhero

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:21 am UTC

folkhero wrote:
Sockmonkey wrote:Meh, ten years on our scale doesn't mean ten have gone by on the show. In any case with people living as long as Farnsworth, (160+IIRC) 30 is nothing.

Didn't the 100th episode specifically say that it had been ten years since Farnsworth got his new crew? I think the quote was something like, "Wohoo, our hundredth delivery in only ten years."

yeah, also whenever they explicitly mention the year it is always "our current year" + 1000, since fry came out of cryostasis in New Year's Day Y3K, it is currently the year 3011 in the show,

Postby Soralin » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:33 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:I don't doubt that the futurama universe has some form of anti-aging going on, whether from specific treatments or just general improvements in healthcare and medical science.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/4518/futurama-party-on

Slurms Mckenzie: Babes?
Babes: Yes, Mr. Mckenzie?
Slurms Mckenzie: You've served me well these 40 years, but this time I've got to party alone.
Soralin

Postby lemmings » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:50 am UTC

Soralin wrote:
EdgarJPublius wrote:I don't doubt that the futurama universe has some form of anti-aging going on, whether from specific treatments or just general improvements in healthcare and medical science.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/4518/futurama-party-on

Slurms Mckenzie: Babes?
Babes: Yes, Mr. Mckenzie?
Slurms Mckenzie: You've served me well these 40 years, but this time I've got to party alone.

Ah, but you forget, there is no reason for planets to have a 8,766 hour long year (365.25 days), Mercury for instance has a day close to 2,111 hours. As a result, 40 years on Mercury could very well be 10 Earth Years. There is simply no reason for Slerms to use a calendar where the years are based on the orbital period of a planet light years away from his home planet.

Now you might object by stating that Mercury is very hot and thus this planet should be inhospitable, but given the nature of the show as being set in a more technologically advanced world, along with the issue in that there are just about a googol planets in the Universe, chances are it is with in reason for there to be a place that looks exactly like this world, or at least can be turned into it via terraforming.
lemmings

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:04 pm UTC

You're also assuming that someone like Slurms Mckenzie would pay attention to his Babes closely enough to note when they change.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:13 pm UTC

they don't correct him, but i'd like to point out that cosmetic surgery is not the same as anti-aging, they could be 60yo babes but look ~20, but still be biologically 60
Last edited by AvatarIII on Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:38 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Postby broken_escalator » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:04 pm UTC

Or they could go to that anti-aging pit the professor went to when everyone was turned into babies.
broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby Dason » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:43 pm UTC

What? The 60 year old ladies that you guys know don't look like that?
Dason

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:52 pm UTC

Dason wrote:What? The 60 year old ladies that you guys know don't look like that?

They do where I'm from. Unfortunately, my time machine broke down and I'm unable to return to the year 2247.
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby Jorpho » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:57 am UTC

Yea, the last two eps were a bit weak, but are we not going to document the references in the last one? I spotted Amelia Pond and Inara; not sure about the others.

What is a bezeling planisher, anyway?
Jorpho

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:51 am UTC

So the latest episode pretty much delivered.
I now occasionally update my rarely-updated blog.

I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.
You, sir, name?

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:17 am UTC

Here its time slot was competing with When Fish Attack 3 (also The Simpsons) so the bar was set pretty high.
The basic plot and premise has been reused in something like a third of Futurama episodes, and a lot of the details seemed pretty tired. On the other hand, a lot of the one off gags were pretty good, and the visual shout-outs were great.
cephalopod9

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:20 am UTC

Zarq wrote:That reminds me. I still have to see the movies and the fifth season.

This. I was so excited about the return of Futurama, but then I never started watching it again. I think it says a lot about how much my television watching habits have changed since I was a kid.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:20 pm UTC

Somewhat on-topic: Our new gecko is named Nibbler.
~ It's been 70 years. You're not a neo-Nazi... you're a fucking asshole. ~
RealGrouchy wrote:Can't talk now. Fucking.
Sprocket wrote:This? This is my dick. It's delicious.
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby Jorpho » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:39 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:So the latest episode pretty much delivered.
Aye, that was pretty good.

There were a bunch of sci-fi shoutouts there, I'm sure, but I didn't recognize any of them offhand except for the Doctor. A bit of investigation reveals that the Jupiter 2 from Lost in Space was definitely one of the ships.
Jorpho

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:10 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:So the latest episode pretty much delivered.
Aye, that was pretty good.

There were a bunch of sci-fi shoutouts there, I'm sure, but I didn't recognize any of them offhand except for the Doctor. A bit of investigation reveals that the Jupiter 2 from Lost in Space was definitely one of the ships.

The ones that stood out to me were the ship from 2001
2001ship.jpg

a 2001-style monolith, and a lunar lander.
I now occasionally update my rarely-updated blog.

I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.
You, sir, name?

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and TV Shows