Police misbehavior thread

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby Angua » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:22 pm UTC

You should definitely demand equal treatment out of principle. Otherwise it is separate systems for separate people which is not just.

Improving what that treatment is is a completely separate issue.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:35 pm UTC

sardia wrote:About the cop that broke into another guy's home and killed him
Is it ok to demand cops to give equal treatment when charged when equal treatment is typically really shitty? Is the interim goal of equal treatment a good idea because once powerful people face shoddy treatment, they'll be motivated to change it for everyone?

That can be a motivation, true. Even if not, though, I think it's just in this case.

I see no reason to presume that she is deserving of a higher standard in any respect. This didn't result from her employment responsibilities. She merely happens to be a cop. Giving her a better presumption of innocence than anyone else is simply treating cops as a higher class of people, not making allowances for their job. So, even if one presumes that such allowances are necessary, they ought not apply here.

The Great Hippo
Swans ARE SHARP

Postby The Great Hippo » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:56 pm UTC

Is it ok to demand cops to give equal treatment when charged when equal treatment is typically really shitty? Is the interim goal of equal treatment a good idea because once powerful people face shoddy treatment, they'll be motivated to change it for everyone?
As Angua said above, these are two separate issues. That being said: It's remarkable how people in positions of power will push for laws that punish those not in power, then have the gall to demand an exception be made when those very same laws punish them.

The justice system in the US is a cruel, abhorrent cycle of abuse that destroys human life for political expediency and sheer petty spite. I don't support its violence, and I'd rather not perpetuate its fetishistic pursuit of punishment and degradation over rehabilitation and reconciliation. But when police and other officers of the law demand they be exempt from the very monster they've helped build, maintain, and steer? Pardon me if I don't trip over myself in my rush to support them.

sociotard

Postby sociotard » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:42 pm UTC

idonno

Postby idonno » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:48 pm UTC

I assume that means they aren't evacuating the guards either. Forget about morals, that just sounds like a liability nightmare.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:01 pm UTC

They're not evacuating Camp Lejeune, either. Both of those seem like a bit of a gamble to me. At a minimum, significant moral responsibility to the government if deaths occur as a result.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:05 pm UTC

Aren't prisons built like bunkers though? Discount bunkers, but bunkers nonetheless, and should be a bit sturdier than almost any other buildings in the area?

sardia

Postby sardia » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:08 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Aren't prisons built like bunkers though? Discount bunkers, but bunkers nonetheless, and should be a bit sturdier than almost any other buildings in the area?

Great, the wind won't damage the prison. Too bad you're LOCKED in a cell that's flooding from storm surge.
I thought you would know that flooding exceeds any wind damage during a hurricane.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:19 pm UTC

Sure, they tend to be fairly solid, but that doesn't mean the person inside is any less vulnerable to flooding. That depends largely on location, drainage, etc, and concrete tends to be pretty impermeable. So, basically, it comes down to how fortunate you are and exactly where the hurricane hits. Might get lucky, might get flooded.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:20 pm UTC

addams

Postby addams » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:24 am UTC

The Great Hippo wrote:
As Angua said above, these are two separate issues. That being said: It's remarkable how people in positions of power will push for laws that punish those not in power, then have the gall to demand an exception be made when those very same laws punish them.

The justice system in the US is a cruel, abhorrent cycle of abuse that destroys human life for political expediency and sheer petty spite. I don't support its violence, and I'd rather not perpetuate its fetishistic pursuit of punishment and degradation over rehabilitation and reconciliation. But when police and other officers of the law demand they be exempt from the very monster they've helped build, maintain, and steer? Pardon me if I don't trip over myself in my rush to support them.
Amen.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Return to “News & Articles”