Tattoos?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

schumi_girl
Human sacrifice for hire

Tattoos?

Postby schumi_girl » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:33 am UTC

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread.

Just wondering what tattoos you guys have.

I'm killing for the crescent moon on my ankle: Image

and the Jupiter symbol on my wrist:Image

Unfortunately my parents (who I'm living with still) are refusing to let me get them done. I'll do it anyway, for my 18th birthday :)

Adam: "This could be trouble."
Riley: "We'd better make a fort."
Adam: "I'll get some pillows."

Verator

Postby Verator » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:38 am UTC

Tattoo's on visible parts of your body in normal work clothes can really hinder a job position sometimes.
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:06] Akira: but i want a penis ;_;
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:12] Mrcheesypants: let's face it, you aint below a 3 on a kingsley scale
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:36] Mrcheesypants: two sided dildos are like penises

Unforgiven

Postby Unforgiven » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:40 am UTC

Imo the first question you should always ask with a tattoo is "how is it going to look when I'm 80?" ;)
"Now we're at the museum. Do you think they'll have DDR in there too?"
"It's Japan. Of course they will."

VannA
White

Postby VannA » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:42 am UTC

Verator wrote:Tattoo's on visible parts of your body in normal work clothes can really hinder a job position sometimes.

I've yet to see an ankle tatoo affect a girl's work chances.

Even in high-powered executive roles.

Something to do with the (admittedly sexist view ahead) tendancy for the ladies to sport far more elegant and tidy tatoos.

Scratch that.

Based on Evidence, subtle and tasteful tatoos on your ankle will not affect your job prospects.
Last edited by VannA on Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:45 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Jealousy is a disease, love is a healthy condition. The immature mind often mistakes one for the other, or assumes that the greater the love, the greater the jealousy.

Emmaskillz

Postby Emmaskillz » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:43 am UTC

My friend decided to tatoo herself. I suppose if you want it that bad you could try it.

Verator

Postby Verator » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:43 am UTC

I meant the jupiter symbols on her wrists more myself.
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:06] Akira: but i want a penis ;_;
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:12] Mrcheesypants: let's face it, you aint below a 3 on a kingsley scale
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:36] Mrcheesypants: two sided dildos are like penises

schumi_girl
Human sacrifice for hire

Postby schumi_girl » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:45 am UTC

I am not, under any circumstances, tattooing myself! That just scares me.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:51 am UTC

I have a small tattoo on the back of my hand. So far only 2 people have commented on it, people don't actually notice.
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:58 am UTC

I have considered recently getting these tattoos:

1) Barrel lad, somewhere. I don't know where, and would prefer it if someone else did it. I don't like being that kind of unique.

2) Kanji for "Crazy gaijin". I just think it would be really funny to have all these non-Japanese speakers thinking I'm all hip or whatever, while all the Japanese who read it assume I got the translation wrong in a bad way.

3) A full-facial Moko. This would be awesome, and wouldn't affect job prospects that badly, as it's illegal to discriminate on basis of race here. Also, any job I want wouldn't give a shit, and I'd look freaking awesome. And I'd get it done the traditional way, for manliness purposes.

4) Angel wings on my back. I considered this for a while, but it would just be tacky, I think.

I think Apocralypse has the best tat on the fora, based on what I've seen.

5) Barrel lad again. I was just thinking about this over tea, and I think it's the best xkcd-tattoable-thing.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

recurve boy

Postby recurve boy » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:58 am UTC

I thought about it once. tattoo ink technology is not advanced enough to match my vision.

Kinch

Postby Kinch » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:19 am UTC

I have this on my chest, it's maybe 4 square inches:

schumi_girl
Human sacrifice for hire

Postby schumi_girl » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:25 am UTC

That's so cool! Did it hurt much?

Darcey

Postby Darcey » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:31 am UTC

I wouldn't get a tattoo personally, just because my weight tends to change and I dunno how all the stretching and shrinking would affect the tattoo. If I /had/ to get a tattoo, though, it would definitely be a vine starting around my ankle, winding its way up my leg, circling around my waist, coming up the other side of my torso, circling my neck like a graceful necklace, then climbing onto my cheek and ending either there or on my forehead. It's the coolest tattoo I can think of. I wouldn't ever get something that permanent though.

Incidentally I /am/ getting an industrial piercing on Tuesday and I'm not sure if the place I'm going to (my dad found it; I've never seen it) is also a tattoo parlor, and if it is I will be interested to learn how it's done.

Emmaskillz

Postby Emmaskillz » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:33 am UTC

My dad actually tatoo'd himself once when he was 15 also.

I have thought about some tatoos. When I was younger I thought about getting a colour tetoo of a green tree frog on my shoulderblade but now I think if I got one it'd be small and simple.

PS_Mouse

Postby PS_Mouse » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:57 am UTC

I wouldn't mind "Eternal life comes to those who wait" somewhere; perhaps on my upper back. If I was feeling particularly insane, I'd get the entirety of Desiderata tattooed on my back.

[EDIT] I've just decided that "Eternal life comes to those who wait. Evidently, I was too impatient" would be cool thing to have on my gravestone.
Last edited by PS_Mouse on Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I think I used to have a porpoise; then again, that might have been a dream. | Eternal life comes to those who wait
Never forget how the brave Tenzing Norgay outsmarted the evil Edmund Hillary

Kinch

Postby Kinch » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:59 am UTC

It's kinda like this burning sensation on your skin for about an hour, not really that bad, but not pleasurable either.

I only got my tattoo on my chest though, I can only imagine how much it would hurt to get one near a bone or nerve like your armpit.

Emmaskillz

Postby Emmaskillz » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:01 am UTC

Apparently the top of your foot is ridiculously painful.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:37 am UTC

Verator wrote:Tattoo's on visible parts of your body in normal work clothes can really hinder a job position sometimes.

TBIL has a tattoo on the inside of his wrist, it's not a problem at his work. But he is a boy so I guess he could wear business shirts and cover it up if he ever needed to. I don't think most jobs would be allowed to discriminate on the basis of a tattoo, would they? If they are, two words - chunky bracelet.

If I ever got a tattoo, it would be a small, simply drawn scarlet pimpernel on the inside of my wrist.

stuck
The Sandwichsmith of Legend

Postby stuck » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:57 am UTC

I have the southern cross on my chest. It's only small, and it's ridiculous given my ambivalence towards nationalism/jingoism, but whatever, despite our faults I still love Australia.

I want to get a few more, namely on the underside of my wrist and above the joint between my thumb and finger. Not sure what of yet, though.

Also, some advice to those considering getting them done - see a good artist and remember to get it reinked in the future.
Belial wrote:You, my friend, are my new fucking hero

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:59 am UTC

Reminds me of the story of a 15 yo girl who got a tattoo of a Chinese symbol, she showed her friends mum, but not her parents as she wasn't supposed to get one, the mother asked he what it stood for and she replied 'Honesty'

That story makes me giggle.

Tattoos are cool, I'd probably never get one though. Unless if it was of a vagina on my penis (kidding).

EDIT or go four way in a tattoo with other members of the letters X-K-C-D on our wrists.
=]

Unforgiven

Postby Unforgiven » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:02 am UTC

__Kit wrote:Reminds me of the story of a 15 yo girl who got a tattoo of a Chinese symbol, she showed her friends mum, but not her parents as she wasn't supposed to get one, the mother asked he what it stood for and she replied 'Honesty'

Wouldn't it be totally awesome if the girl had been deceived and it was in fact the character for "irony"? :roll:
"Now we're at the museum. Do you think they'll have DDR in there too?"

"It's Japan. Of course they will."

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:31 am UTC

I'm going to get "Gott ist todt! Und wir haben ihn getötet!" tattooed on my back.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:48 am UTC

I understand the sentiment, but why in German?

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:50 am UTC

Because German is f'ing metal. \m/

Actually, I'd like to know too.
ImageImageImage

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:01 am UTC

*shrugs* My family is German, so I guess it's a nod to them. I also think it sounds better in German.

And 'cause German is f'ing metal!
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:43 am UTC

Pic:

People don't seem to notice tattoos anymore than jewellry these days.
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:49 am UTC

SilverWolfe wrote:Pic:

What tattoo?
=]

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:05 am UTC

i want to get the skeleton piper inbetween my right nipple and collar bone in black ink. incase you dont know what it is heres what the is:

and when JoePa died (which i hope is never) i want to get something like this Image on my left side (in black again) unless he wins a national championship between now and when ever then i would get that

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:39 am UTC

I'm going to get a fleur-de-lis with two vines growing from the sides and closely encircling it on my forearm.

The fleur-de-lis is the symbol of Louisville and represents starting a new and important chapter in my life. My transition to true independence and maturity. One vine represents my family, and the other my friends. They are close to the fleur because I keep my friends and family close, and they have both helped me grow and become the person I am.

Now I just need to get it drawn the way I see it in my head. Sometimes I wish I could be artistic like my mother (professional artist), but I suspect my engineering-related creativity will be more helpful in the end.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

Emmaskillz

Postby Emmaskillz » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:55 am UTC

SilverWolfe wrote:Pic:

I love this. Now I want one.

kilgore trout

Postby kilgore trout » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:55 am UTC

Apparently the top of your foot is ridiculously painful.

My tattoo is on the top of my foot, and while it wasn't a pleasant experience, it really wasn't that painful. It is really more of an annoying sensation. To me it felt like the pain from a bad sunburn.

I like where I have my tattoo, but I wouldn't recommend it. Feet are really hard to tattoo because of the veins and bones right under the skins surface. From what I have heard from a few tattoo artists, many prefer not to do feet tattoos because they are harder, and the ink tends to bleed easier.

The plus side of a foot tattoo is it is very easy to cover up if you have to. My parents didn't even see it for 3 months after I had it done. Plus, your foot is not really affected by weight fluctuations, so less worry of your tattoo getting all stretched out.

I'm glad I waited a few years after I turned 18 to get it done though. I took a couple years to think about it and decide what I wanted before I made the commitment. I don't regret getting a tattoo, but I am about ready to get it removed. There are no tattoo artists locally who will do touch ups on feet, so the top half of my tattoo is starting to look shitty. It's a two hour drive to find a tattoo parlor that will do touch ups, and I just don't want to do that kind of upkeep. Tattoo removal is expensive, and I am not sure of the results, so I won't be getting it removed anytime soon.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:12 pm UTC

There's actually already a topic for this, but it's ancient and there got to be 30 responses on this one before I caught it, so whatever.

I plan to have the glyphs in the background of this image tattooed on my upper arm. Or possibly somewhere else. I still haven't totally decided on placement:

Last edited by Belial on Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:21 pm UTC

I just thought of something else I want to get tatted.

Ain't got no quarrels with god
Ain't got no time to grow old

Somewhere. Perhaps on my upper-back? Not sure yet.
Anyway, I think these are some of the greatest lyrics I've heard. I'll have to take some time to plan this one just right.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

noouch

Postby noouch » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:26 pm UTC

If I were to get a tat, I'd probably get something nerdy and generic like a space invader or something:

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:37 pm UTC

While I personally have no tattooes, and I doubt I ever will (I refuse to get a tattoo if I don't think the idea is awesome six months later. The longest an idea has gone is one week) my wife has 10.

Once she gets the next one she's planning on, her shoulderblades are basically going to be one giant piece. Letsee...

There's the tribal on her foot covering up a shitty tattoo she regrets getting.. not because she didn't like the original idea (a music staff) but because the person who did it fucked it all the hell up.
Birds on each calf..one's an angel, one's a devil...
Two stars on her shoulders and an extra one slightly lower.. so three total, on the front.
A little dragon on her neck
A fairy on her spine between her shoulderblades
A phoenix on her left shoulderblade, it's wings and tail kinda wrap around the fairy
And a flowery line thing on her lower back. Yeah, she's got one of those, but let's face it, she's running out of room.

I only saw her get two of them.. during the phoenix on her back, I think she almost fell asleep a few times. During the one on the top of her foot... yeah, that one was bad.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:30 pm UTC

Kinch, that's awesome.

I don't think most jobs would be allowed to discriminate on the basis of a tattoo, would they?
They can in the same way that they can discriminate based on appearance.

If I did get a tattoo, it would probably be something geometric (possibly a heavily-stylized dragon) on my right shoulder.

Another idea is a tramp stamp that just says "Juicy."
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:39 pm UTC

A friend of my sister's has a really cool tattoo on his bicep. It's a really stylized (reminds me of cel-shading, actually) version of the 4 basic elements; Earth, Water, Wind, and Fire, and placed around an infinity symbol.

I think that's fucking ROCKING.

Also, I wouldn't mind getting a small jabberwocky on my bicep.

*goes off to take picture of bicep and then photoshop-in jabberwocky to see how it looks*
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:40 pm UTC

i suppose i should take pictures of mine and toss them up here, nothing special though.
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:44 pm UTC

Twasbrillig wrote:*goes off to take picture of bicep and then photoshop-in jabberwocky to see how it looks*

The whole poem?
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

notallama

Postby notallama » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:46 pm UTC

i kinda want "καλλίστη" on my shoulder.

Return to “General”